Kale Apple Banana Smoothie

Making breakfast before work does not have to be harder than walking the dog.

In fact, you can easily whip together a healthy, plant-based smoothie in under 10 minutes. It just takes fresh produce, milk or water and a powerful blender.

This recipe is packed full of cruciferous greens (which are shown to protect you from cancer) and fresh fruit (which are known to make you smile). It tastes creamy and dreamy and will give you the energy to start your day.

I like to keep mine on the thick side, so I can a use a spoon to scoop up each bite. If you prefer your smoothies thinner, just add more liquid to the recipe.

One sip and I promise you’ll be convinced.

4.9 from 10 reviews

Kale Apple Banana Smoothie
Prep time

Total time

Serves: 1 large smoothie or 2 medium ones

• 1 cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
  • ¾ cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1 heaping cup kale, chopped
  • 1 banana, chopped
  • 1 medium apple, ¼” dice
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • honey to taste
  • 2 tablespoons granola (optional)

1. Place every ingredient, except for granola and honey, into a high speed blender and blend until smooth, using a spatula to scrape the sides as you go.
  2. Taste for the sweetness of the smoothie. If you’d like it sweeter, add honey to taste. Blend again until smooth.
  3. Pour into one large glass or two glasses and garnish with granola if using. Drink immediately.

46 thoughts on “Kale Apple Banana Smoothie

1. Christine says:

I am trying to eat better for my health (and waistline) and found this smoothie recipe on pinterest while looking for kale recipes. I just made it for breakfast and it is absolutely delicious. I didn’t have chia seeds so I substituted for flax. I will definitely make this again. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Morgan says:

Hi Christine- Good for you! This is definitely my go-to smoothie when I’m craving something nourishing. I am so happy you enjoyed it. Love the idea of subbing flax seed. I will have to try that next time. Thanks :)

• Morgan says:

I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in Northern Illinois and during these months, you probably couldn’t pay me to consume something cold!

2. Hailed says:

I love smoothies, I make one every morning. I like the idea of this one!
    How would it taste if I used spinach instead of Kale? have you tried it this way? I’m Not a fan of kale.

3. Hailed says:

Wow it was delicious! I made it with spinach, I did replace the peanut butter with organic almond butter and I added 1/4 c of old fashioned oats. Thank you for your quick response :)

4. FAITH says:

• Hailed says:

I’d like’d to say that I have now become obsessed with this smoothy. I make it 5-6 days a week I have it every morning after my workout. Thank you , thank you for this awesome recipe! and yes I’m making it with kale now instead of spinach and it’s just as delicious!

• Morgan says:

I eat this smoothie quite often myself! At least 2-3 times a week. I’m glad you enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for stopping by and trying my recipe!

5. Akamasen says:

Great receipe, I used frozen bananas and frozen Greek yogurt (before it was completely frozen) and it made for a nice cold treat. I think they’d make killer Popsicles if I had Popsicle forming ware.

6. lauren says:

this look delicious! I’m crazy for greek yogurt these days, and I can’t stand protein powder, so this looks like an excellent way for me to go! I’m going to give it a try in the morning. :-)

• Morgan says:

Hi Lauren! Thanks for stopping by :) I love greek yogurt too. I probably go through a tub a week! These shakes are a great protein source if you don’t like the powdered version (which I totally agree, yuck!). I just calculated it and it has a whopping 33 grams! Not shabby. Let me know what you think!

7. Suzanne says:

Made this one this morning. I used a combo reg and vanilla Greek yogurt and did not add the honey. The extra sugar in the vanilla yogurt made it sweet enough! fabulous smoothie. Loved it!

8. Rita says:

This looks absolutely delicious! I made a similar smoothie this morning but your looks better, i will definitely take in the extras that you mentioned above. Thanks for the recipe!

9. Elizabeth fortier says:

I just made this w/o the peanut butter and it was pretty good. Adding cooked quinoa would make this a complete meal

• Morgan says:

Oh I love the idea of adding quinoa! This smoothie already keeps me full for a few hours, but I bet the extra protein would really help keep you satiated. Thanks for stopping by :)

10. Laura ellen says:

Made this for dinner with a loaded veggie omelette. Complete meal and approved by my 9 year old. So yummy!

• Morgan says:

So happy to hear that! It’s a tough job convincing children to eat kale. Thankfully this smoothie is hard to resist. Thank you for stopping by :)

• Morgan says:

Thank you Camille! A green smoothie is my favorite way to start the day. I’m not sure what dairy products are popular in Costa Rice, but I’m thinking kefir or even regular yogurt would make a fine substitute! :)

11. Pingback: Banksyface