This new year, I decided to take an analysis of my character instead of creating a “goal” or resolution. I identified what habits, choices and hobbies that brought value into my life. One of the most important habits I’ve picked up is feeding my body in a mindful way. While I am far from perfect, I try my best to fill meals with as many vegetables and whole foods as possible. Making a conscious effort to eat nourishing foods has brought value to every part of my life. Physically, I feel like I am in the best shape I’ve ever been and have the motivation to continually push my capabilities. Emotionally, I am more attune with my feelings when I eat. I rarely feel guilty about what I am eating, and now I see how nutrient dense food leaves me feeling satisfied.
These kind of smoothies have since become a staple in my diet. I start with a delicious base of yogurt, honey and bananas and basically build from there depending on what I have in my fridge. Kale and spinach greens are my favorite for adding a truck load of nutrients. Then, I throw in some kind of fruit to offset the bitterness of the greens. Add in special flavorings like peanut butter, cinnamon or vanilla extract and you have got one power-packed, delicious smoothie. I like to keep mine on the thick side so I can a use a spoon to scoop up each bite with a taste of granola. Enjoy these for breakfast, lunch or pre/post workout snacks.
One sip and you’ll be convinced.
- 1 cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 heaping cup kale, chopped
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 medium apple, ¼” dice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granola (optional)
- Place every ingredient, except for granola, into a high speed splender and blend until smooth, using a spatula to scrape the sides as you go.
- Pour into one large glass or two glasses and garnish with granola if using. Drink immediately.